Saturday, November 1, 2008

Nayagarh is a town and a notified area committee in Nayagarh District in the Indian state of Orissa. It is the headquarters of Nayagarh District.

Geography: Nayagarh is located at 20°08′N 85°06′E / 20.13, 85.1[1]. It has an average elevation of 178 metres (583 feet).
Demographics: As of 2001 India census[2], Nayagarh had a population of 14,311. Males constitute 54% of the population and females 46%. Nayagarh has an average literacy rate of 84%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 87%, and female literacy is 81%. In Nayagarh, 9% of the population is under 6 years of age.

Politics: Nayagarh is part of Bhubaneswar (Lok Sabha constituency).

Nayagarh Temple

Dakhinakali Temple: is More Famous in Nayagarh,Orissa .India.
Jagannath Temple, Nayagarh : Though the Rajas of Nayagarh were Saivites of the Lakulisa Pasupata Sect, they were equally devoted to the Vaisnavite faiths. Raja Bagha Singh (1480-1510 A.D.), who rose from the status of a petty chieftain of Ralaba to the stature of a Raja Samanta (feudatory chief), created a new Fort (Nuagarh) at the present principality of Nayagarh. He is credited with having made small icons of Shree Vigraha Chaturdha Murty, and installed the Deities in a mud altar on the foothill of Balarama, for the first time in the history of Nayagarh.

During the rule of Raja Ramachandra Singh (1720-30 A.D.), the small icons of the Chaturdha Murty were removed to Sinduria. New icons of comparatively bigger size were constructed and worshipped at Nayagarh, on an altar of black chlorite stone.

It was during the reign of Raja Binayak Singh (1793 - 1823 AD) that the present icons were installed in the newly built temple of Sri Jagannath on the foothill of Balarama. The old images installed by Raja Ramachandra Singh were removed to the temple precinct of Sri Ladu Baba of Sarankul. The stone altar on which the Deities were installed by Raja Ramachandra Singh was sold for a nominal price of Rs.250 in 1890 A.D. to Neela Kothlok of the palace (Kept of the Raja), which was used as the pedestal (padma prusta) of Lord Gopinath Jeeu.

Only the main sanctum (viman), 120 ft. in height, was constructed by Raja Binayak Singh. However, he had kept Rupees 60 (Sixty) thousand along with some building materials for the construction of the frontal porch, or jagamohana. Due to his demise in 1823 A.D., the work could not be completed. His son, Raja Brajabandhu Singh, spent the money otherwise, to purchase the estate of Baramba, which was then being sold on auction to repay back loans. So the frontal porch of the temple of Lord Jagannath could not be built. However, a flat-roofed pucca building was later built to serve the purpose of jagamohana.

The main temple of Lord Jagannath is of a rekha order, characterised by a Pancha Ratha plan. As usual, Varaha, Narasingha and Trivikrama are installed as Parsvadevatas around the main sanctum.

On the lintel of the doorjamb there are stone carvings of the nine planets. Just above the planets there is the carving of Gajalakshmi. It is said that Raja Binayak Singh sought the assistance of Mukunda Mahapatra, a sculptor from the state of Athgarh (Ganjam). Mukunda was the father of the famous poet Jadumani Mahapatra. Mukunda's father, Raghumani Mahapatra, carved out the icon of Radha Ballava for the Raja of Athgarh.

Raghumani's father, Artabandhu Mahapatra, was the main mason to make the icon of Lord Jagannath in the state of Athgarh. In all probability, Raja Binayak Singh, who had a family connection with the Raja of Athgarh, might have invited Mukunda Mahapatra to house the family at Itamati with royal land grants, to use his masonry skill. Mukunda also carved out the image of Lord Radha-mohan Jeeu installed in the palace precinct.

Raja Binayak Singh introduced the Chhatisa Niyog Sevas for the Deities in the line of Lord Jagannath of Puri. He also recorded huge land grants to defray the expenses of the temple. The royats of Sakiri were providing fine rice, measuring sixty-two cart loads of paddy. They were also discharging other bethis (services free of cost) for the temple.

Royats of Itamati were discharging bethis for the Gundicha Bhawan. Royats of Balipatna, Gundi Gadia and Bhalia Padar were discharging the duty of prahari (doorkeeper) on bethi. All the royats were providing vegetables for Dwitiya Osha.

The Car Festival, Makara, Chandan and Snana Yatras are the chief festivals of the Deity. In the line of Lord Jagannath Jeeu of Puri, here also three chariots are used for Rath Yatra. The making of the chariots starts from the day of Akshyaya Tritiya. The Khonds of the state were previously providing the ropes and discharging some other duties on bethi. Nowadays, the Debottar Department assumes all responsibilities for the festival.

On the day of the car festival, the Raja of Nayagarh comes from the old palace in a grand procession and performs the chhera panhara (sacred sweeping) of the chariots with a golden broom. Then only the chariots start their journey to the Adapa Mandapa. In the Adapa Mandapa (Gundicha Ghara) also all rituals like that of Puri are observed with pomp and grandeur. The festival ends with the return journey (Bahuda Yatra). Like the sacred Mahaprasad, here also Anna Prasad (rice, dal, curry, etc.) is available in earthen pots (kudua) to the devotees of the Lord.

Ladubaba : The temple of Ladubaba is situated at Sarankul 13 kms away from Nayagarh. This is one of the Saiva pithas of Orissa. Ladukeswar Singh Mandhata, the king of Nayagarh had constructed this temple in his own name. A great fair is held here every year on the fagar Amabasya day.

Education in Nayagarh

Justify Full

Nayagarh is totaly good for Education. neighbouring princely states, Nayagarh (now a district) formed a part of the Puri District as a sub-division in the state of Orissa. In the receding tide of colonial hang-over when the era of Reconstruction of Indian Nation began under dynamic leadership of Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, the People Nayagarh, just liberated from the princely shackles, were not lagging behind. They could very well read the national meaning of the new spirit and felt an urge to establish aninstitution for higher education. In the year 1952, the first proposal for establishing a college came from the then S.D.O. Sri Udayanath Pattnaik. In the year 1961, with sustained efforts and selfless dedication, unstinted cooperation with the proponents and diffusing inspiration among the people, the then S.D.O. Sri Bhramarabar Jena took the cudgel and kingpinned all the levers he could pull, to establish the college.With generous charities of land from the Endowments of Sri Gopinath Jew; Her Majesty the Queen of the erstwhile princely state of Nayagarh; the Forest Department; the then Eastern zone Command Base (now the Police Training School, Nayagarh) and numerous small-land owners, the college came into existence on a Sylvan surrounding at the foot of the Rukhi Range on the 9th July 1961. Initially, the college had to pass through financially hard times. It is said - “When the Going Gets Tough,” the Tough Gets Going,” and the Tough - Late Bhramarabar Jena, the Founding Father of the college left no stones unturned to see that funds from diverse sources start pouring in. Even the common people of the Nayagarh sub-division came forward to contribute a year’s extra revenue to shape the college in its infancy. The mainbuilding of the college was inaugurated on the 10th February, 1963 by the then Governor of Orissa, an eminent engineer and statesman par excellence Dr. A.N. Khosla. The college started with a humble strength of 100 students, 10 lecturers and almost as many office and laboratory staff. Over the years it had grown to a massive, towering two storeyed edifice with as many as 100 faculty members, 100 lab/technical/ministerial support staff and a close to 1600 Degree students. In its initial years, the college rose to eminence under the able stewardship of a sleepless watchdog and galloping warhorse Prof Sri Gopal Chandra Pattnaik as the Founder Principal. Behind all the activities the unseen hand of the great son of Orissa was there through out. He was none other than Shri Biju Pattnaik, a great statesman and former Chief Minister of Orissa. There were many people whose active role to shape the college in its initial years can never be undermined. To name a few who will be long remembered for their valuable contribution and active role are Shri Akrura Mohapatra, Advocate; Shri Raghunath Mohapatra, renowned Agriculturist, Shri Narasingha Pattnaik, Advocate; Shri Raghunath Das, first NAC Chairman of Nayagarh and a Social activist; Shri Achhutananda Mohanty, ExMLA, Nayagarah; Shri Rajkishore Pattnaik, Poet; Shri Rajkishore Pattnaik, Advocate; Shri Jaladhar Behera, Advocate; Shri Krishna Chandra Satpathy, Advocate and Sri Benudhar Mohapatra,Agriculturist. And above all, the rulers of four princely states Nayagarh, Khandpada, Dasapalla and Ranpur generously contributed for the establishment of the college. The foundation stone was actually laid down by a verycommon man of Nayagarh - The “Lotus” symbol engraved in the front side of the Academic Building signifies “Let the fragrance of knowledge emanate from this Academia and spread throughout”. The second storey of the massive college building was started and completed during the three year stint of Prof Ramesh Chandra Pattnaik as Principal from 1984 to 1987. The scope of learning initially limited to P.U. Science and Humanities, was expanded in succeeding years; first with the provision of first year degree in both the faculties and later with B.A. B.Sc. classes affiliated to the Utkal University. Pass classes in English, Sanskrit, Political science, History, Economics, Psychology Philosophy, Physics, chemistry, Biology and Mathematics were introduced from the year 1962. Pass classes in commerce, started from the year 1981 and in Education and sociology from the year 1991. Honourse courses in political science, Economics and Mathematics started in 1966, Oriya in 1968, History, Phychology, Chemistry and zoology in 1973, English and physics in 1974, Sanskrit and Biology in 1976, Philosophy in 1977, Commerce in 1986, and Sociology and Education in 1995 to provide an opportunity for higher education to the students of lower economic status who had been deprived of it for a long time. From 1998 Seed Technology as a U.G.C. sponsored vocational subject with better job prospect has been opened for +3 CBZ pass students only. After the introduction of the 10+2+3 pattern in Orissa, Higher Secondary courses were opened simultaneously in Arts,Science and Commerce in the academic session 1983-84, and the institution was affiliated to the Council of Higher Secondary Education, Orissa. The mission of the college is ‘Learning brings the fruits of immortality”. This means quest for knowledge, dissemination of knowledge and enlightenment. The goal of the college is to create the necessary facilities to achieve the above mission by fostering creativity, Scientific temper, Sportsmanship and leadership quality and transforming the college into a centre of academic excellence through need based education and skill based training. At present the college offers Under Graduate Programme in 19 subjects covering all the three faculties with Honours teaching facilities in 16 subjects, Certificate course in Computer Study to justify its status as a Premier Non-Government Aided institution of the state. The infrastructure includes the massive two storied Academic Building that houses all the Arts, Commerce and Science Departments and laboratories, office rooms for both the wings of N.C.C.,N.S.S and Youth Red Cross. The Administrative Block includes Central office and Examination Section, The Library building houses Reading Room, Three hostels (Two Gents’ and one Girls’), 10 Staff Quorters and a Spacious Play ground with 400 mt track are the added attractions of our College. Gents’ hostel has been named after the noted poet, Kabi Jadumani, while the other has been named after the world famous Astrophysicist Pathani Samanta, the worthy son of Khandapada. The Womens’ hostel has been named after the woman freedom fighter, Malati Choudhury. Besides its own water supply system on the Sprawling Campus, other amenities of the College include Open Air Auditorium, Canteen, Guest house, Health Centre, cycleshed, post office, and NCC Firing Range.The college Library has a total stock of 35,139 books (under graduate and Higher Secondary) including 16, 309 reference books and 4,910 books in the Book Bank, subscription to 29 journals and periodicals, Reading Room facility for the teachers and the students, circulation facility, clipping facility, audio-visual facility and internet access. The cataloguing system is fully computerised.The college came into UGC fold in July 1964 under 2(f) and subsequently under 12 (B). Since then the UGC has been providing adequate financial assistance for promotion of academic activities as well as for the development of infrastructure. The college has recently been declared an Autonomous College by the UGC w.e.f. from the session 2006-07…..

Important Places in Nayagarh

: Situated at a distance of 40kms from Nayagarh, Daspalla is famous for
Mahabir Temple. The Lankapodi festival is observed here at Dussehra.

Sukarmal : It is situated at a distance of 75 kms from Bhubaneswar under Nayagarg district . It is one beautiful scenic place for the tourists.

Sarankul : Sarankul is situated at a distance of 20kms from Nayagarh, Which is famous for Lord Ladubaba Temple.

Odagaon : It is at a distance of 5kms from Sarankul. The temple of Lord Raghunath and an Pond is the main attraction of this place. The Ramlila festival is observed here on a grand scale.

Kantilo : It is situated at a distance of 25kms from Nayagarh on the bank of river Mahanadi. The temple of Lord Nilamadhab, Lord Narayani and the scenic beauty attracts the tourists. It is also famous for Brass and Bellmetal utensils.

Ranapur : Situated at a distance of 30 kms from Nayagarh, Ranapur is a picnic spot. The temple of Goddess Maninageswari on the picturesque Maninag hill top attracts the tourists.
Godipada:Mindblowing Place.
Important Food: Nayagarh is Famous for
chhenapoda in Worldwide:::
----------So Sweet My Nayagarh...................